This delicious cake is a must bake for all chocolate lovers!
A rich chocolate sponge packed with melted dark chocolate and white chocolate chunks, filled with white chocolate buttercream, topped with a white chocolate drip and milk chocolate decorations, this decadent delight is sure to be a winner every time.
I’m a white chocolate fiend so I’ve put that in both the buttercream and used it as the drip, but if you’re not as keen you can easily swap it out for milk or dark chocolate instead.
To get the perfect layers, I’ve used a cake leveller from Iced Jems. They are a game changer and I highly recommend them.
This cake will hold up to being covered in sugarpaste/icing and used as a middle tier.
Once baked, it will last 5-6 days. This recipe is for a single height 7″ round cake.
NOTE – As I wanted an extra deep cake, I baked two 7″ rounds using the above recipe and stacked them one on top of another. If you bake one you will get a cake half this height.
- 200g Self Raising Flour
- 150g Unsalted Butter
- 50g Golden Syrup
- 300g Dark Brown Sugar
- 50g Cocoa Powder
- 5 medium eggs
- 100g Dark Chocolate
- 100g White Chocolate Chunks
- 1 ½ Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Instant Coffee in 100ml Hot Water
- Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave or in a bowl over a pan of hot water.
- Make up the instant coffee.
- Cream together the butter, sugar and golden syrup.
- Add in the eggs.
- Mix in the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder.
- Add in the melted dark chocolate and coffee.
- Finally stir in the white chocolate chunks.
- Pour into a lined 7″ round tin and bake at 140ºC for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- Check after an hour and only take out when a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool completely upside down on a sheet of greaseproof paper.
For the Buttercream
- 250g Butter
- 500g Icing Sugar
- 100g White Chocolate (melted)
- Mix together the (room temperature) butter and icing sugar until soft.
- Add in the melted white chocolate.
- Mix until you have a smooth consistency.
- Split the cake into three sections using a cake leveller and fill with the delicious buttercream.
- 100g White Chocolate
- Chocolate Stars
- Chocolate Chunks in White and Dark
- Cover the cake in a layer of white chocolate buttercream and leave to set.
- Melt 100g white chocolate and pour onto the top of the cake.
- Use the back of a spoon or a palette knife to edge the melted chocolate to the sides of the cake and let it drip down.
- Top with chocolate chunks and chocolate stars.
If you want to turn your baking hobby into a career, check out my book Cakes, Bakes & Business for everything you need to know about running a successful baking business, including pricing, marketing, insurance and much more!
#AD – Originally made in 2017 in partnership with Dr Oetker and webake.co.uk