Double boarding a cake is a lovely little technique to use if you want to add a little height to your cake, or play around with the design. In my example, I’ve used a double board to create a wave in the sea beneath this English seaside wedding cake.
You will need;
- Two 12mm cake boards. (Here I’ve used a 13″ and 15″)
- Double sided tape
- Clear Piping Gel
- Silicone brush
- Sugarpaste to cover your boards
- Turn over the top board and cover the back lines of double sided tape.
- Peel off the backing, which is always harder than it looks.
- Stick the top board down in the middle of the bottom board.
- Cover both boards, including the edge of the top board in a thin layer of Piping Gel.
- Roll out your sugarpaste and using your rolling pin, gently life onto your boards. Use your hands or a pair of smoothers to smooth down.
- Leave to set overnight before decorating.
If you wanted your boards two different colours for different effects, ice both and eave to set overnight, then stick them together using a little royal icing. If using this method, don’t forget to cover the edge of what will be the top board with sugarpaste or a ribbon.
For more about cake boards and their uses, check out my End the Nakedness blog.